- opportunity op‧por‧tu‧ni‧ty [ˌɒpəˈtjuːnti ǁ ˌɑːpərˈtuː-] noun opportunities PLURALFORM [countable]a chance for you to do something successfully:
• This is an excellent career opportunity for a recent graduate.
• In order to make money, you will need to identify market opportunities.
• an investment opportunity
• a significant business opportunity
* * *opportunity UK US /ˌɒpəˈtjuːnəti/ US /ˌɒpərˈtuːnəti/ noun (plural opportunities)► [C or U] an occasion or situation that makes it possible to do something that you want to do or have to do, or the possibility of doing something: an opportunity to do sth »
There will be an opportunity to discuss the matter again next week.an opportunity for sth »
Fast internet service in rural areas provided a new opportunity for prosperity.get/have an opportunity »
Everyone will have the opportunity to comment.give/offer/provide an opportunity »
The merger offers an excellent opportunity for growth in the Asian market.take/seize an opportunity »
We need to seize this opportunity while we can.miss/lose an opportunity »
I've been invited to speak at the conference – it's an opportunity that's too good to miss.»
You should include employees in decision-making at every opportunity.»
Please contact us at the earliest opportunity.»
He left because there was a lack of opportunity for promotion.► [C ] a chance to get a job: »
employment/job opportunitiesan opportunity for sb »
We need to create more opportunities for young graduates.
Financial and business terms. 2012.